Non-Player Characters, or NPCs, are used to flesh out the world of Houses of the Blood MUSH, and come in two distinct categories: Major NPCs and Stock NPCs.
Stock NPCs, also called Extras, are NPCs that do not use a complete character sheet and are extremely easy to build on the fly. Stock NPCs are constructed as follows:
- Stock NPCs are built at a base Rank 1 to 5 (typically), much as a power or Asset would be.
- For each Rank, the Stock NPC gains one Specialization in a Skill. If this Stock NPC is of a supernatural type, such as a Servus, or other supernatural creature, you may choose to give them one (1) Specialization in a Power to represent some innate power, such as a psychic's telekinesis; templated NPCs, such as Werewolves, often have a number of Discipline powers by default. The Stock NPC section details which ones various supernatural types have access to by default. Stock NPCs of a particular template can sometimes also have innate access to Disciplines (such as all Wraith's having access to the first two dots of Dementation regardless of Specializations chosen or Rank).
- Stock NPCs have Health Levels equal to their Rank unless otherwise specified.
- Stock NPCs have a Test Pool for most endeavors equal to twice their Rank (IE: a Rank 2 has a 4 for most actions). For any Skill they have a Specialization in, they gain a +5 to those Test Pools (IE: A Rank 3 Extra with Brawl Specialization has an 11 for Brawl-based pools). For Discipline Specializations representing powers, they have that power at their NPC Rank (IE: A Rank 3 Tremere Antitribu with Thaumaturgy: Movement of the Mind would be considered to have that power at level 3).
- Stock NPCs have no Willpower and can only retest if they can Overbid in the challenge. Stock NPCs do not have Merits, Flaws or Backgrounds either.
- Filling up a Stock NPCs Health Levels does not necessarily mean death, just that they are out of the fight.
- If a Stock NPC has a supernatural power, they have an expenditure pool of 10 (unless otherwise noted their template) and an expenditure rate of 1 per turn.
Major NPCs are different from Stock NPCs in that they are built using a full character sheet in the same manner that a normal Player Character is built. This allows for a greater breadth of skills, capabilities and powers in order to have a larger antagonist or other character for a plot, that can stand on par with PCs. Additionally, Major NPCs are not subject to some base limitations that PCs are subject to.
- Major NPCs are built using the same base creation method as PCs.
- Major NPCs do not pay Merit points for Clan and Bloodline Rarity Merits. Otherwise they must pay for any other Merits, including Morality Merits.
- Major NPCs are built with a up to a particular number of Experience Points based on whether they are Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 3.
- Tier 1 Major NPCs: Up to 150 Experience Points
- Tier 2 Major NPCs: Up to 300 Experience Points
- Tier 3 Major NPCs: 300+ Experience Points
Additionally, each Tier has an access limit (for example, Tier 3 Major NPCs can only be used by MUSH staff without express permission.)
Due to our open PrP policy (see Plots Policy), we want to offer our players a very simple, easy to use method to utilize NPCs in their plots. And due to the way we handle certain aspects of the game, we are implementing a simple, easy to use system and set of policies to allow our player STs to use NPCs easily and effectively on the MUSH.
Below are the NPC policies and rules that we expect Staff, Narrators and Players to abide by.
- Staff reserve the right to create and run any and all types of Non-Player Character, including but not limited to any Sect listed in the source material; any of the supernatural types listed listed in 11. Non-Player Characters; as well as creature types not listed in the rules documents
- Staff have the capability to create any Tier of NPC necessary for plot advancement, and will create NPCs appropriately for their plots using combinations of Stock and Major NPCs.
Narrators (see News Basics/Staff) are given much of the same leniency as above, with the following caveats:
- Narrators can only use source NPCs with approval from a member of Staff.
- Narrators can create Tier 1 and 2 Major NPCs, and will create NPCs appropriately for their plots using combinations of Stock and Major NPCs.
This policy is fully dependent on the use of the NPCs and the circumstances that the NPC has been brought out for. The use of any NPCs in this manner to do things other than further RP for the players of the MUSH should be reported to Staff using the +gripe system.
Houses of the Blood MUSH is an endeavor to create an environment for people to play in the Vampire the Masquerade environment. As such, we want to encourage the players of the MUSH to develop and run their own plotlines for the MUSH.
- Players can use any creature type or Sect from 11. Non-Player Characters.
- Players can use source NPCs with approval from a member of Staff.
- Players can create Tier 1 Major NPCs, using up to the maximum allotted XP as detailed in this file.
- Player-controlled NPCs must abide by any PrP policies detailed in News Policy/Plots
As with the Staff and Narrator-controlled NPCs, this is fully dependent on the use of the NPCs and the circumstances that the NPC has been brought out for. The use of any NPCs in this manner to do things other than further RP for the players of the MUSH should be reported to Staff using the +gripe system.
All NPCs, whether Stock or Major, will be represented by an easy-to-use coded system that will interact with a variety of MUSH coded systems. Please see +help NPC and general +help for information on those systems.